[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:54:11 EST 2011

I've suggested something similar in the past.  There are so many discussions about creating the "Library of the Future", but still want to use the same staffing model that was used 20 years ago.

> Honestly, can anyone describe the role of today's librarian? Look at
> the postings
> about basic necessary skill-sets!
> The "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" is my practice of not taking everything
> TOO
> seriously. 30 years in this business has taught me that.

"Only" 14 years in the library business for me but I've been working with technology since I was testing and repairing Pong games for Atari in 1975.