[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Susan Barribeau sbarribeau at library.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:28:41 EST 2011

Hello,
Also delurking...I have been following this thread somewhat and I would
just like to say apropos of nothing that the subject line keeps scanning
for me as "skillets for new librarians". I'm an old librarian but we
probably need similar skillets.

Nearly all my tech skills were learned on the job(s) both formally and
informally. Imagine graduating from lib school in 1991 (me) as opposed
to 2003 and thinking about your tech skills. Lib school tech classes
were/are not always current with trends (said euphemistically). Lib
schools had to adapt to some serious changes, which they have done and
still do. Working for the lib tech support group when in lib school was
the best foundation I had for gaining an understanding of academic
library tech from system level down to ripping out and replacing a hard
drive. I met a lot of campus librarians, got paid (not much) and had a
good CV/resume item to include.

This isn't to say that formal training isn't necessary. It is and was.
But actual job immersion forces you to be current. And "it" is
ubiquitously part of libraries. "it" (ha ha - "IT") in libraries. I
think taking courses (community college or wherever) is an excellent
choice. It can't hurt, right?

My experience of learning the rudiments of (primitive) HTML long ago
(and ftp, servers, etc etc) and having to TEACH it to others opened a
lot of doors to opportunities. Tech skills will open doors to serving on
committees, managing and building complex websites,  being in involved
in organizing and managing huge ILS changes. The more perspectives you
have, the better your options.  Keeping up is the challenge. Managing
the change. And managing the costs of the change.

That is what interests me now about collection dev. and mgmt. and the
technologies and economics that drive it in an academic research library
today. Hence my current job. At the root of the library is its
collection. Without it, it would not be a library. And without the tech
our collections would be a lot less useable, available, and searchable.

Interesting times. Great thread. Worthy and timeless topic. Libraries
are everywhere. Go libraries!

Susan Barribeau