[Web4lib] Integrating Google Books/Scholar into Library Web Services

Marc Davis marc.davis at drake.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:53:19 EST 2011

Hi, everyone.

Looking for some best practice examples, ideas, considerations involved in integrating Google Books and Google Scholar into library web sites. We are an academic so our primary focus is on undergrad/grad research tools.

To what extent have you integrated these resources into your link resolvers, databases, etc.? What about quality issues with Google Scholar (I hear stories about articles that only look "scholarly" being in the mix, degrading the academic usefulness of the results)?

Any particular success stories involving integrating these resources into instruction, info lit, etc.?

Any particular resources we should look at beyond Google's own help/propoganda?

Thanks.

Marc Davis | Systems Coordinator | Cowles Library | Drake University
Mailing: 2507 University Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50311 USA | 515-271-1934
Shipping: 2725 University Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50311 USA