[Web4lib] Charging station in libraries

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Tue Feb 22 20:10:52 EST 2011

If you want to provide something beyond a u-ground receptacle outlet
(NEMA 5-15P), you might consider a usb port. I think you could
probably fill the phonebooth completely, were you to try and provide
every conceivable connector.

One thing to note. There is a variety of safety u-ground receptacle
outlet that will not make a connection unless the ground pin is
connected first. Obviously, this is a non-starter for most mobile
device, although it might be a good policy if your patrons will be
pugging in drain-cleaning machines.

Cary

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Sara Brownmiller <snb at uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Like many libraries, especially those in older buildings, requests for
> electrical outlets remains high.    We have a couple of old phone booths
> (remember pay phones?) that are powered so we're exploring creating charging
> stations in each of these.    We'd like to find a system that would allow
> students to plug in a variety of devices -- phones, music players, laptops,
> etc.   And if possible we'd like this to be a self-contained system complete
> with a variety of cords.
>
> Perhaps something like the ChargeCarte,
> http://www.smartecarte.com/uploads/pdfs/PROD-Other-Chargecarte.pdf. Although
> we are not interested in leasing a device.
>
> These types of services are becoming more common in airports.
>
> Is anyone providing some type of charging station?   If yes, what products
> are you using?
>
> thanks, Sara
> --
>

> Sara Brownmiller  . . . . . . . . . . . University of Oregon Libraries
> Director, Library Systems . . . . . . . 1299 University of Oregon
> Women's Studies Librarian . . . . . . . Eugene, OR 97403-1299
> snb at uoregon.edu . . . . . . . . . . . . 541-346-2368 (voice)

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
http://chillco.com