[Web4lib] Charging station in libraries

Sara Brownmiller snb at uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 22 11:17:49 EST 2011

Like many libraries, especially those in older buildings, requests for
electrical outlets remains high.    We have a couple of old phone booths
(remember pay phones?) that are powered so we're exploring creating
charging stations in each of these.    We'd like to find a system that
would allow students to plug in a variety of devices -- phones, music
players, laptops, etc.   And if possible we'd like this to be a
self-contained system complete with a variety of cords.

Perhaps something like the ChargeCarte,
http://www.smartecarte.com/uploads/pdfs/PROD-Other-Chargecarte.pdf.
Although we are not interested in leasing a device.

These types of services are becoming more common in airports.

Is anyone providing some type of charging station?   If yes, what
products are you using?

thanks, Sara
--

Sara Brownmiller  . . . . . . . . . . . University of Oregon Libraries
Director, Library Systems . . . . . . . 1299 University of Oregon