Web 2.0 Experiences

Lisa Cohn lcohn at BPLNJ.ORG
Wed Dec 28 11:42:40 EST 2011

I collect statistics on my library's Facebook and Twitter accounts, and I also use stats from my time in Second Life at the Virtual Librarya there, although that is mostly volunteer.

For Twitter, I check the number of followers as well as the number of reTweets and @ mentions. You can gain more followers if you follow others.  On Twitter, it's polite to follow people who have followed you.  So, I followed a lot of local news sources and politicians.  When they follow us in return, that's also an excellent avenue for publicity.

Facebook is a little annoying as they keep changing their "insights".  I count the number who like the page (fans), as well as the Check-ins (people who checked in at the library physically through their smart phones).  That number will be higher in reality, as some have turned the GPS tracker off on their phones (like I did).  I also count the number of interactions (likes and comments) as that shows buy-in.

In Second Life, I count the number of avatars who visited my virtual display.

For people who don't have the time or inclination to update all these sites frequently enought to get buy-in from the public, there are ways to streamline it.  I hooked the library's Twitter account and facebook account together.  If I post in Facebook, it automatically goes to Twitter as well.  I also put a Twitter widget on the library's website, so Tweets are automatically posted on the home page.  Three postings and I only did it once in Facebook.  Time saver.

Lisa

Lisa Cohn, WebMaster, Programming

Bloomfield Public Library

90 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003

(973) 566-6200 x217, lcohn at bplnj.org,

http://www.bplnj.org/

Follow us on Twitter (bplnj) & Facebook!

Sign up for our new eNewsletter listserv.