[Web4lib] Koha

Ross Singer rossfsinger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:50:19 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:
>  Ross Singer writes
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:
>>
>> >  As far as I understand, LibLime/PTFS sell a forked version of koha
>> >  that is not freely downloadable open source.
>>
>> Thomas, please stop with your speculation and FUD:
>> http://koha.org/news/liblime-a-division-of-ptfs-announces-201charley201d-a-new-stable-release-of-koha-available-for-immediate-download
>>
>> You could at least Google this stuff before you hit reply.  It's,
>> seriously, like the first hit.
>
>  The URL that Ross quotes contains no proof that what I wrote is wrong.

Fair enough and mea culpa - that indeed says that PTFS/LibLime open
sourced something, but, you're right - there's not really any way to
tell if it's the same thing they sell as Liblime Enterprise Koha (and
it's purely speculation to say it is or isn't).

>  I am disappointed that Ross chose to personalize the topic.

Eh?  My point was that speculation and hearsay is not exactly
productive (and, yes, I am fully aware of the irony in my reply also
being unhelpful):

"I read some time ago that most of
 their customers are not happy. I think that was in a tech source
 report from Marshall."

Cary's reply to this, I thought, was pretty reasonable.

I apologize for my tone, it was kneejerk.  The LEK/Koha-community
schism is highly charged and divisive and, frankly, I don't have a
stake in it nor that much of an opinion, but I feel it's difficult to
figure out what exactly is going on because PTFS/LibLime are very
quiet and Koha-community is very angry.

I guess, in my mind, a more appropriate warning would have been an
actual link to your reference (or some link) -- probably this:
http://www.librarytechnology.org/perceptions2009.pl ?

I'd also be interested to know if anybody knows how difficult it would
be to migrate off of LEK onto either a locally hosted Koha instance or
another vendor hosted implementation.  If it is especially difficult,
then, yes, Thomas, your calls for buyer beware would be highly
justified.

-Ross.