[Web4lib] Koha

Mark Kille mkille at naropa.edu
Mon Sep 27 14:27:12 EDT 2010

Terran,

I had an okay experience with LibLime through 2008, into early 2009 or so. Then I started getting discouraged by them on price and by their move towards marketing an enhanced/not-entirely-open-source version of Koha. (At the time, my understanding from them was that they would offer both open and "closed" versions, but my experience with other vendors made me nervous that in a couple years, the transition to "closed" would be complete.) I know the Koha development community has been unhappy with what LibLime has done with their domain name and archived discussions and such--I don't claim to know all the details, but koha-community.org presents at least some of their side of it (vs. koha.org)--but purely from a library services and business model angle, LibLime got my spidey-sense all atingle. I didn't feel like playing the "trust us!" game, so I had us go with Bywater Solutions for hosted Koha instead, and it has worked out well.

Regards,
Mark

*****
Mark Kille