[Web4lib] Shouldn't Libraries be Technology Hubs, instead?

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 16:17:32 EDT 2010

Thanks Robert,

     The kitchen table is not a perfect image for leading off the ideas I
tried to convey about place. Moreover, norms aside, there is notable
variation among people in taste and in ways they respond to different kinds
of ambiance.  I have  a buddy, a physicist and early career professor, who
almost literally cannot work at home even when he is the only person there.
  He does not, however head for the library most of the time (he does
go occasionally).  No...his perfect environment for completing a proposal or
writing a paper or even completing a computation is usually a noisy coffee
shop.

     I, on the other hand, often work at home to avoid time lost commuting
to other locations (I live in a rural setting), but a good library (I use
law, public, and sometimes university libraries) is very conducive to my
writing and state of mind needed for a delicate composition or computation.
 I have good broadband at home (it was not always thus), but that is not a
factor in these cases.   The power of changing environment is what I am
trying to tap into.

     Some environments really are special.  For other kinds of people, some
libraries can and do offer programs and services aside from solitude.  In
all cases there is often great psychological power in public places and
architecture.  There are places we go just because it feels good to be there
even if we do not spend time trying to figure out why.  Since libraries were
historically "places"  it makes sense to me that their potential to offer a
welcoming environment for those seeking information or an environment
conducive to intellectual activity should be capitalized upon.

     Anyway, how to deal with authors and publishers and how to justify the
funding of public libraries are the really big issues here.  Technology
seems to be taking care of itself in the sense that there is already a
robust real-time interplay between and among those who need to keep up with
it and refine it to their information needs. Ditto for the communication
challenges affecting libraries and their patrons.  Public interest versus
private interest .... that it what needs to be grappled with.

     Finally, consider the timelessness of the great cathedrals  in Europe.
 Even closer in time there are examples of public places (like Grand Central
Station) which become icons of public infrastructure for which aesthetics
and scale combine to touch some of the same psychic chords in people as
cathedrals were intended to.  A large building that is also an aesthetic
wonder attracts and inspires a lot of people.  When it also conveys an
egalitarian message that all who come here seeking information are welcome,
that counts for something.

[     Germane, but more personal aside: I lived in Tampa, Florida when Tampa
International Airport was constructed.  I witnessed first hand how a single
large public works project dramatically changed the self image of an entire
metropolitan population.  When it first opened the general public (end of
the 60's) local people flocked to it just to experience it as a wonder.
 Within five years of that time, Tampa -- a small town that got big --
joined contemporaneous commerce and culture in a big way.  It may never be
Boston, but it will never be what it was either.  I am not exaggerating when
I allege that the construction of that one facility was the key to the
cultural and commercial transformation of an entire metropolitan area.  Not
all airport projects have such a dramatic affect, but Tampa International
Airport is an award winning facility.  It remains a marvel of efficiency and
attractiveness even now with traffic many times over what it had in the
early 70's.  Places do matter and they can be shrewdly done to achieve much
bigger things than their immediate function. ]

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Robert L. Balliot <
rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com> wrote:

> The question of libraries being technology hubs (instead) is a bit
> misleading.  The codex *is* technology.  It is a very efficient information
> storage and delivery system. So, libraries have always been technology
> hubs.
>
> I like this analysis.  It is a topic that I discuss almost daily with my
> wife (a law librarian) and one I heard in many iterations practically from
> birth from my father (an academic librarian).  I was born in Ann Arbor
> while
> he was in library school. I grew up in academic libraries: Oregon State,
> Iowa State, SUNY-Fredonia, University of Illinois, Wesleyan, Peabody
> College
> (Vanderbilt), Western Carolina, University of Pittsburgh.  I worked in
> three: RISD, Brown, and Roger Williams University and multiple public
> libraries.
>
> The one flaw that I see in it is the kitchen table concept. I personally
> have more computing power and bandwidth than most libraries had available
> for years.  It is likely that I can do *more* from my home office than can
> be accomplished in almost any library computer lab or even in many large
> library systems offices.  So, the place concept may hold true for homeless,
> but that is about as far as it goes. In fact, with a smart phone the
> homeless can have most information needs served anywhere.
>
> We were walking by the shore a few months ago and something large was
> moving
> very fast through the reeds.  We could not identify it, but it was somewhat
> intimidating. We were talking with my sister about it, she Droided it and
> showed us a picture of a Fisher Cat
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)> .  It was the answer. No
> library involved.

> Robert L. Balliot