[Web4lib] Shouldn't Libraries be Technology Hubs, instead?

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sun Oct 31 09:37:05 EDT 2010

The question of libraries being technology hubs (instead) is a bit
misleading.  The codex *is* technology.  It is a very efficient information
storage and delivery system. So, libraries have always been technology hubs.

I like this analysis.  It is a topic that I discuss almost daily with my
wife (a law librarian) and one I heard in many iterations practically from
birth from my father (an academic librarian).  I was born in Ann Arbor while
he was in library school. I grew up in academic libraries: Oregon State,
Iowa State, SUNY-Fredonia, University of Illinois, Wesleyan, Peabody College
(Vanderbilt), Western Carolina, University of Pittsburgh.  I worked in
three: RISD, Brown, and Roger Williams University and multiple public
libraries.

The one flaw that I see in it is the kitchen table concept. I personally
have more computing power and bandwidth than most libraries had available
for years.  It is likely that I can do *more* from my home office than can
be accomplished in almost any library computer lab or even in many large
library systems offices.  So, the place concept may hold true for homeless,
but that is about as far as it goes. In fact, with a smart phone the
homeless can have most information needs served anywhere.

We were walking by the shore a few months ago and something large was moving
very fast through the reeds.  We could not identify it, but it was somewhat
intimidating. We were talking with my sister about it, she Droided it and
showed us a picture of a Fisher Cat
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)> .  It was the answer. No
library involved.

Robert L. Balliot