[Web4lib] LibX

Campbell, James (jmc) jmc at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:52:45 EDT 2010

My experience is in the academic environment with a large e-journal collection and a resolver, so edit this for your situation, but really it's hard to beat LibX as a return on investment. No money changes hands. It took me maybe an hour to set it up.  It's been a while since I looked at our download stats, but last time I did we were well at well over 1000. And demonstrating the magic button to users almost always gets you a Wow! What's to lose? Set up a local version and let some people try it out.

Downsides? The biggest one is browser support.  The current version works well with Firefox, a bit less well with IE.  They're currently working on version 2.0, which at this point is a very different concept, a button rather than a toolbar. My impression from the discussion on the LibX list is that they're focusing on Firefox and Chrome for 2.0, but Blacksburg is a long way from Charlottesville and I have no official knowledge of their plans.

Personally I use it all the time and judging by the questions and comments I get so do a lot of our library staff.

      - Jim Campbell

      Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
      University of Virginia Library | Charlottesville, VA 22904-4112

      513 Alderman | campbell at virginia.edu | 434-924-4985