[Web4lib] Enhanced E-book Service

Cindy Harper charper at colgate.edu
Thu Oct 14 08:57:56 EDT 2010

I've long thought that providing a secondary search in the library catalog
of just the indexes would be useful - based on a Thomas Mann article that
highlighted the importance of the index.  And I wondered how many of them
would fit the fair-use rule of less than (what is it - 5%, 10%?).  Of
course, it wouldn't be fair use because it wouldn't be spontaneous and one
time only. I'm interested to hear that European copyright law may allow one
to include the index in the library catalog - how would we get such a ruling
in this country?

Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
charper at colgate.edu