[Web4lib] [Publib] Seizure of Domains by DHS

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 08:31:21 EST 2010

I also wonder about the implications for data collection.  Google Analytics
at the very least, would be collecting this site traffic information at each
visit to the seized sites:

Source,  Medium,  Campaign (as in Adwords campaign) ,  Keyword,  Ad
Content,  Vistor Type, Landing Page,
Language,  Continent,  Sub Continent, Region,  Country / Territory,  Region
, City,
Browser , Operating , System , Screen Colors , Screen Resolution , Flash
Version , Java Support,
Service Provider,  Hostname, Connection Speed,
and possibly User Defined Value resulting from customization of the
tracking code

If the sites are now owned (confiscated) by DOJ and DHS, then what would be
the status of the information being collected by visits? Government owned
sites usually describe what is being done with information being collected.
I can see how the data being collected could have law enforcement value and
possibly lead to inculpatory evidence of people receiving stolen
intellectual property.  But, once the site is owned (confiscated), it seems
that there should be some sort of description of how information derived
from the visit could or would be used.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com