[Web4lib] Greenstone For Dummy (Me)

Michael Schofield mschofield at neflin.org
Fri Nov 19 08:28:09 EST 2010

 Brain,

Whenever I last developed a Greenstone Digital Library, it was in a class
where our professor, with magical /root powers, configured our servers for
us. I am currently in the planning stages of a project for the local library
cooperative, and I'm evidently incapable of giving myself my own refresher.
The online GDL user-submitted manuals aren't step-by-step enough, so I was
wondering if someone out there in the web could drum-out a basic walkthrough
for setting up a GDL Web Library - in, apparently, dummy terms!

I was up late last night with crossed eyes. The info just isn't getting to
the right part of my brain.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I am using virtualbox to set up a server on a Windows 7 machine. I have
never set up a server before - the server has simply already been there when
I got to it. Right now, I've installed Ubuntu Server 10 - for which there is
a lot of forum-fuming about how difficult it seems to be to configure it for
Greenstone. One of my questions is whether it would be easier to run the
Apache HTTP Server in Ubuntu 10. Someone told me that I wouldn't be able to
work on Windows XP - only NT (which I don't have) - so I am taking his word
for it.

After I get the server configured, I need to get Greenstone installed and
ready for remote collection building. Ultimately, the server will be
offsite, and I will have a few others in adjacent counties working on the
collections.

Is someone out there willing to walk this lowly student through the steps? I
sort of jumped into a deep end. I will keep my eye on the listserv, but feel
free to contact me off-list: mschofield at neflin.org. I will make sure to make
myself available in the future to return the favor.

Michael Schofield | mschofield at neflin.org
@ BCPL [Office]: (904) 368-3917

P.S. //

I thought about using Greenstone3, but a) it takes a lot to make compatible
with Windows 7 [although I could just boot it with XP / Ubuntu], but since a
Greenstone 2 collection can be carried over to Greenstone3, I figured I
would wait for a stable build.