[Web4lib] Kindle Lending

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:42:03 EDT 2010

I would say academia may be less technophobia, but it still exists. The
hurdle in academia that causes library changes and technology to be
delivered later than our public counterparts is that academics have strong
beliefs of their preferences and are stuck in their ways. Even when a
better, proven option comes along many faculty will stay what they know
already and operate the same way they do know. They are focused on their
research and push forth it, and not the processes to make their research
easier. The other hurdle is the entire method in which tenure is granted and
specifically the stereotypes or belief of what is of "value" in the process.

Academic publishers have not shown the eager willingness you suggest. The
prices of ebooks and restrictions on access are excessive. Many of us are
forced to get the most out every penny in our budgets, which means buying
the paper book that can be as much as half or 1/3 the price of the multiuser
e-book. Faculty and students are not complaining about lack of the ebooks,
or even asking for them, so it is better if I get 2 or 3 print books for the
same price.

It will not be until the "leisure" reading of ebooks keeps driving usage,
technology, licensing, and format standards before academic type materials
in electronic overcome those in print in academic libraries. The pure
numbers of public users has a better chance to drive the business as has
already been shown by the availability of ebooks in publics for some time
now. The exception might be consortium like OhioLINK that are leveraging
their buying power and technology to deliver econtent.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com
bcg8 at case.edu