[Web4lib] QR Codes – Using Mobile Phones To Deliver Library Instruction

gerrymck gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:41:29 EDT 2010

Walsh A. 2010. QR Codes – using mobile phones to deliver library instruction
and help at the point of need. Journal of information literacy, 4(1), pp.
55-65 [snip]

Abstract

Though true location aware devices such as GPS enabled phones are becoming
more common (e.g., the latest iPhone includes GPS and compass) developing
services that “augment” reality is unrealistic for most libraries due to
time; money and technical constraints.

There is an easier option though – using small printed codes, such as QR
codes, around the library that link to resources and information appropriate
to their location. QR (Quick Response) codes are a matrix codes, like a two
dimensional bar code. They can be read by mobile phones with integrated
cameras, with a small application installed. Some mobiles come with the
application ready installed, though it can also be download for free from
the internet and installed on PDAs, smartphones and other mobile devices. At
the University of Huddersfield we have used QR codes to deliver context
appropriate help and information to blur the boundaries between the physical
and electronic world. We’ve developed mobile friendly materials to deliver
information skills materials directly to our users at the point of need,
linked by QR codes on printed materials and on appropriate locations in the
physical library. This article outlines the practical uses we’ve found for
QR codes and gives preliminary results of how they’ve been received by our
library users.

Source

Links To Source > Full Text > And Related Article Availabla At

[ http://bit.ly/bVUABD ]

!!! Thanks To Gary Price / ResourceShelf / For The HeadsUp !!!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian