[Web4lib] Link to Library site on College website

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:15:58 EST 2010

This thread is so much a throwback -- to 1992, to 1994, to before, and
since.

Should the electric utility that provides power to the campus have a link
from the university home page?

Should the campus police?

Should the ambulance services that respond when you call 911 to report an
accident?

For campuses that reside in northern climes, should the department that
plows the roads in winter have a link from the university home page?

Should that department that runs the campus phone system -- almost
irrelevant to students in 2010?

Should the Compting unit?

Should central Administration?  The president?

Should the city in which the campus resides have a link, to appease
town/gown relations?

I believe the answer to all of these is resoundingly NO.   The university
home page does not exist to serve those who seek to proffer content.  It's
about faculty, staff, students, parents, prospective students, alums, and
donors.  It's not about any person or entity in the ivory tower.

Now, should the Library have a link from the institutional home page?

My instinct is:

-- Yes.

-- But many university library home pages are more about the library as a
department than about the services people seek, so, maybe no.

Now: make the case.  What value do you offer that's as sought or needed as
much as Admissions, Academic Calendar, Athletics, and the rest?

/rich