[Web4lib] Local Book iPhone application

David Friggens friggens at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Jan 6 22:38:47 EST 2010

> I would think an app like your new app would be much more powerful
> if pre-populated with book sources.

The app is pre-populated with libraries and bookstores - they come from
the LibraryThing Local website.

> Seems for every organization to register

Every organisation needs to be registered, but it doesn't need to
register itself - the vast majority of listings are entered by users
rather than the organisations. LT Local has pretty good coverage,
ranging to completely comprehensive in some areas.

> makes using Google Maps a better choice

Google Maps is no different in that organisations need to be registered
appear - which may be done by Google or by the organisation approaching
them.

> since I can already enter "library" and "book" and get the needed
results.

If it's just a list of libraries and bookstores sure. (Well, maybe not -
at least in New Zealand the results are quite messy and include some
irrelevant listings.) But Google won't give you a single list of
upcoming events at all those organisations...

Cheers
David