[Web4lib] Google Analytics

Stacey Knight slknight at eiu.edu
Fri Feb 19 11:33:29 EST 2010

I track clicks on outbound links to get an idea of usage for the off-site
content.  It's not a perfect solution for seeing all access to your
externally hosted content, but you can get some idea of what links users
are clicking most.  The link below has the code to set up link tracking.

http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5
5527

The same idea is used to track clicks on links to pdf files

http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5
5529

For example, if you want to track all clicks on your online catalog
together, then all links to the online catalog would need something
similar to the following added

onClick="javascript: pageTracker._trackPageview('/outgoing/catalog');

Alternatively, you could track links to the catalog from different pages
separately to see which links get the most use.  The link from the
homepage to the catalog could track as "/outgoing/catalog_home" and a link
from the Find Books page could track as "outgoing/catalog_books"

As for profiles, I run the same tracking code on our whole site, which
puts all pages on the site under the same profile.  I then have filters
set up to break out different IP ranges.  So I can see the traffic for the
site (no filter), internal traffic only (filter includes internal IPs
only), and external traffic (excludes internal IPs).

I assume you have already signed up for an analytics account and have an
account number.  To get started, follow the instructions below to paste
the Analytics tracking code into your pages.  Don't forget to add your
account number to the code.

http://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5
5488

Stacey Knight-Davis