[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times

Gillian Wiseman gwiseman at ci.waco.tx.us
Tue Feb 9 10:27:32 EST 2010

Speaking merely as an attendee of many conferences, both local
workshops, state library association conferences, and national
conferences (CIL, ALA, etc...) the real benefit to ME from going to
conferences isn't the "meet the speaker" opportunity.

It is having snacks at a table in the hallway with three other
librarians from other states and cities, gossiping about how hard it is
to do "this" or overcome "that". It's the little things like bringing
bookmarks home for the teens and saying "I picked those with you in
mind". Or seeing a particular product in person, touching it and talking
to the vendor about a specific application I had in mind in my library.

No level of videoconferencing will ever completely replace that; which
said, if I have to choose between NOT getting any conference, and
attending the programs online, I'll take online any day.

Gillian Wiseman
Electronic Resources Librarian
Waco-McLennan County Library
1717 Austin Ave