[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 9 09:51:40 EST 2010

Jill O'Neill wrote:
> Speaking as an event organizer, I am sure that most conferences are seeing
> shifts in a variety of ways. Certainly speakers require more subsidization
> of travel. Organizations don't send as many people to a single conference as
> they might have done five years ago. Costs are up in the hospitality
> industry in terms of catering and that too may force associations to
> re-evaluate traditional practices in supplying attendees. There are the
> issues associated with technology (such as supplying wi-fi to registrants).

Thanks for your response.  As I wrote, I have been involved in the
conference planning for an annual (used to be twice a year) conference
so I have seen the issues involved for conference attendance from both
sides.  One thing I've noticed for the conference I'm working on now is
that some conference services vendors (i.e. AV support, and, yes, event
organizers) seem to be especially aggressive about letting us know of
their services.  I think there has been no less than three companies
send us email offering to sell us  #totebags.
> That said, one of the most frequently cited rationales for attending a
> conference in a face-to-face setting is associated with the opportunity to
> meet the real person. Doing it online offsets limited travel, but there's
> nothing like shaking a hard in real time and in real space to cement a
> connection.

I agree.  100%.  I wouldn't expect, or predict that face-to-face
conferences will go away, but wouldn't be surprised to see more virtual
conferences and more regional conferences.  For example,  I couldn't
really justify going to Code4Lib in Asheville,  but the Code4Lib North
regional conference that has recently been discussed is only a 3 or so
hour drive away so I'm considering going even if I have to pay the
registration fee and accommodations myself.

--
John Fereira
Cornell University
Google Wave: fereira at googlewave.com