[Web4lib] [web4lib] survey on library website thirdpartyanalytics privacy concerns

Marc Truitt marc.truitt at ualberta.ca
Mon Aug 30 16:14:48 EDT 2010

While I'm glad that Robert has, apparently, reconsidered his criticism
of Roy's professional ethics, I note that the reconsideration in
question is based on "how tough the University of California would be
on staff librarians who wish to abide by professional ethics", and not
on a recognition that the original attack was itself inappropriate.  I
am troubled by the still-hanging implication that there is some
contradiction between having and practicing such ethics and the fact
that one's current employer (or one's current job responsibilities)
might be identified with some part of the library milieu other than "the
front lines of library services".

Are we to infer that those who work for library vendors either lack
professional ethics, or that they do not encounter ethical challenges at
least as regularly as do the rest of us?  Do individuals in our
profession cease to deserve our credence and respect, once they go to
work for library vendors?

And finally, are such ad hominem attacks really appropriate for web4lib?

- - mt

On 2010-08-30 12:27, Robert L. Balliot wrote:

> Sorry, I don't mean to diminish what you may think you have gone
> through to preserve ethical standards.
>
> One can only imagine how tough the University of California would be
> on staff librarians who wish to abide by professional ethics.

> Robert L. Balliot
> Skype: RBalliot Bristol, Rhode Island
> http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm
>
> -----Original Message----- From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org

- --
Marc Truitt
Associate Director,
Bibliographic and Information       Voice  : 780-492-4770
    Technology Services             e-mail : marc.truitt at ualberta.ca
University of Alberta Libraries     fax    : 780-492-9243
Cameron Library                     cell   : 780-217-0356
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2J8

"The Byrds and the Airplane did fly
Oh, Ravi Shankar's music made me cry
The Who exploded into fire and light
Hugh Masekela's music was black as night
The Grateful Dead blew everybody's mind
Jimi Hendrix, baby believe me, set the world on fire..."

                                -- Eric Burdon and the Animals (1967)