[Web4lib] online translation service

S Perkins 20run20 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 23:17:54 EDT 2010

Andrew and Petter:

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Andrew Cunningham
<andrewc at vicnet.net.au> wrote:
> There is an art to writing copy for translation. If you really want to use
> machine translation, then you have to look at how you write copy for your
> site, and most likely change how you write.

I interpret this to mean that an English speaker should use more
Latinate words rather than Anglo-Saxon if writing for a Romance
language translation target and vice-versa if writing for a Germanic
language target.  Has this been tested?

Thanks,

Steven C Perkins

> Google translation is a genric approach, with machine translation I prefer
> systems that can also can handle custom client translation memories.
> Meaning and best way to translation words and phrases can differ across
> semantic domains and
>

> On Thu, August 12, 2010 21:11, Naess, Petter wrote:
>> See the "Translate my page" option in the top right corner at
>> http://knowbodies.blogspot.com
>>
>> More on how to make the most of Google Translate here
>> <http://translate.google.com/translate_tools?hl=en>  and here
>> <http://www.pandia.com/sew/2140-google-adds-automatic-translation-to-som
>> e-search-results.html> .
>>

>> I recently drafted some notes for non-Norwegian speakers on how to use
>> Google to translate Norwegian language rss feeds into English....you
>> could modify the notes for your Spanish speakers if you like. Let me
>> know if you're interested and I'll pass them on.
>>
>> Petter

Petter:

May I have a copy of your guidelines?

Thanks,