[Web4lib] Mobile identification code

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:51:14 EDT 2010

We are running two separate sites, since a mobile user is likely to use the
site in a much different way than someone on a device with a larger screen
(yes we could run it through the same system with selection). I am hesitant
to use anything that forces a user to your mobile site. They should see a
link or something else that notifies them that their is a mobile option and
they can then choose whether they want the mobile or full site.

Some presentations that I have been seeing recently aim for sending css
based on max screen size of the device.

On a related note. I created a basic library mobile site using css and html,
but I am thinking about releasing an updated form using the MIT mobile
framework. I know MIT uses it and that Bucknell University just released a
beta of their main university site using the framework. Is anyone using the
MIT framework or any others? If so what are your experiences with them?

Chris Purcell
Drake University Library