[Web4lib] Need to have different distros for testing.

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Tue Apr 27 10:27:01 EDT 2010

In a small scale scenario, you might consider using VirtualBox, which
I believe is still free.

By putting your virtual disks on an external drive - I have a 1.5 Tb
firewire 800 drive for this - you can set up all the VMs you want.
Just don't try to run them all at the same time <g>.

This allows me to run/test all versions of all of OSs we need. We also
have an MSDN subscription that gives us Windows distros past and
current.

This runs swimmingly on my Core Duo MacBook Pro with 8 Gb ram, and
should be great on any capable machine with decent graphics, as I
believe that VirtualBox runs on almost any current OS.

Thanks,

Cary

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to hear if possible your comments and advice on this . Thanks
> in advance.
>
> What if you have a to have several OS and distros to study or give
> consulting and developing services and have diffrenet configurations of the
> users's scenarios. I have this schemanow and I guess I have this options.
>
> - Extra disk(s) and install there the different os I need (FreeBSD and some
> Linux distros).
> - As mentioned have different small disk with real installations and change
> according to needs.
> - Change my slow machine and have a big one with
>  a) have the windows needed (for some clients that have that, I am sorry)
> and under it run VMWARE or similar and have all the installations that I
> need.
>  b) Have a big mac and do the same with virtualpc or similar (not sure of
> the name).
>
> Thinking that you are looking to continue learning and you are offering
> consulting services where clients have different installations. What would
> you choose of the above, if any? Or what would you do?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jorge Biquez

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company