[Web4lib] Thin client computer lab

leblanc.lee leblanc.lee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 17:24:59 EDT 2010

Not sure if these will fall within your budget but we've deployed them
successfully in quite a few situations.
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA0-1346ENW.pdf
<http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA0-1346ENW.pdf>

Objective:
Replace trouble-prone online public access catalog
(OPAC) workstations in the university library
Approach:
Florida Gulf Coast University chose HP Compaq
t5730 Thin Clients, which are solid-state devices
that run on less power than traditional
workstations and produce less heat
IT improvements:
• Less maintenance required
• Elimination of hardware failures due to
excessive heat
• Improved security with reversion to pristine
software image each night
Business benefits:
• Lower cost—roughly one-third the cost of
previous OPAC workstations
• Expected lifecycle of six to seven years versus
less than five years with traditional workstations