[Web4lib] Google Analytics - Tracking Installed

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Wed Oct 28 14:23:56 EDT 2009

Just be careful when using the EventTracking with Google Analytics.  There seem to be some irregularities with it.  I've blogged about my own personal attempt in using it:

http://life.mysiteonline.org/archives/174-Using-jQuery-and-Google-Analytics-to-track-Outbound-Clicks.html <http://life.mysiteonline.org/archives/174-Using-jQuery-and-Google-Analytics-to-track-Outbound-Clicks.html>

The trouble was only partially documented by me in a comment to my own article.  For some reason, the event was never caught.  I've posted on the Google FAQ forum (not sure why they don't use Google Groups) for Analytics about the issue - after attempting all of the possible fixes that others have found - and never received a reply.

Page tracking worked just fine, so you could essentially set the actionable URL path to /action/...description_of_action... or /outbound/...URL... but this has the undesireable result of increasing your overall visits/traffic reports; that was something I did not want to do, and still don't.

I'm honestly considering moving to a comparable product to Google Analytics if I ever get back to this, or deem it important enough to warrant it.  There are a few close competitors that are also free, but at the moment they escape me.  (Sorry.)

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street