[Web4lib] list of all libraries in world

Even Flood even.flood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:18:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Even Flood <even.flood at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Hamparian,Don <hamparid at oclc.org> wrote:
>> I'd also throw the WorldCat Registry
>> (http://worldcat.org/registry/institutions) into this list of library
>> registries. We have around 100,000 institutions in it. There are some
>> thin spots geographically, but it makes a good addition to the list
>> mentioned below. We have been emphasizing adding non-North American
>> institutions into the registry so that particular segment is growing in
>> the registry. There is both a user interface and a web service interface
>> to it.

Using Norwegian libraries as an example, I would have to say that
WorldCat is the only remotely useful The other sites lists 17-19
libraries in Norway, WorldCat lists 184 and the latter number is much
closer to the right one. Mind you, WorldCat's list has many outdated or
wildly inacurate posts, but it is useful. The others are not.

Even

--
Even Hartmann Flood,  Senior Academic Librarian
Ilevollen 3e
even.flood at gmail.com
http://home.broadpark.no/~evflood/
"Come, and take choice of all my library, and so  beguile thy sorrow."
                                (Shakespeare)