[Web4lib] AppLab > Transforming Lives through Innovation in Information Access

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Fri Oct 16 16:22:09 EDT 2009

Colleagues/

!!! A Most Amazing And Successful Mobile Initiative !!!

/Gerry

AppLab > About the Application Laboratory

The Application Laboratory (AppLab) is an initiative of the Grameen
Foundation. We work to promote innovation in the provision of services
and information using mobile phones and other ICTs (Information and
Communication Technologies) to alleviate poverty in the developing
world.

The Issue

Poor and rural populations often lack access to important information
and knowledge that would enable them to improve their lives and
livelihoods.

The AppLab Solution

By leveraging the power of information and communications technologies,
AppLab seeks to overcome the barriers to accessing information that
contribute to the poverty cycle.

How AppLab Works

AppLab uses mobile technologies to both disseminate and gather relevant
and actionable information. We develop mobile phone applications and
services that allow people to access information on important topics
like health and agriculture, among others. For example, through a simple
text message a farmer can receive tips on treating crop diseases, learn
local market prices, or get advice on preventing malaria.

Our applications can also be used for collecting information. For
example, surveys conducted by mobile phones can be used to collect
information on access to health services or the types of crops being
grown in a specific region. This information can provide a detailed
understanding of the challenges poor communities face and equip service
providers with the knowledge they need to better serve the poor.

Objectives

The Application Laboratory seeks to:

Deeply understand the needs of poor people in the developing world and
guide the development of innovative applications delivered over mobile
devices tailored to their needs

Develop opportunities for micro-entrepreneurs to enhance their existing
shared phone businesses and build new businesses collecting and
disseminating information, serving as "information hubs" for their
communities

Design applications and associated business models which improve the
lives and livelihoods of the poor and are financially sustainable,
scalable, and show potential to be replicated globally

Demonstrate the potential for our partners to meet the needs of people
at the base of the pyramid

<<< More >>>

Mission, Vision and Approach

FAQs / Video / AppLab's Worldwide Team / AppLab Atlas (Newsletter) /
AppLab's Worldwide Team /Resource Center

<<< Related >>>

GF, Google and MTN Uganda Launch New Mobile Services for Uganda's Poor ;
AppLab Uganda Launch [YouTube]

<<< See Also >>>

> Cell Phone Information Services > Grameen Foundation Expands
Technology Program for Poor Farmers ...

>> Using Cellphones To Change The World

>>> Africa > Mobile Phone > Powerful Instrument Of Learning

>>> Question Box > CellPhone Reference / Extension Service For The
Developing World

Links The HomeSite / Etc. AND Related Postings Availabale At

[ http://tinyurl.com/yglpt57]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There Are No Answers, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace