[Web4lib] Dial-up back-up suggestions?

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Wed Nov 11 01:52:07 EST 2009

> If you are thinking of providing service over dial-up during an
> outage, this will probably only provide an additional source of
> frustration.

Not really. We had a recent campus-wide internet outage and I used my
personal dialup account.  This gave the staff access to our OPAC,
including the staff client since they are remotely hosted.

  It allowed us to search for books for students and give them call
numbers.  The staff could check books in and out, including full
information such as fines for overdues, though they had to manually
type the barcodes in.

Dial up would give us access to non-subscription databases such as
PubMed and Google Scholar.  We could probably use some of the
subscription databases that have password access in addition to the
normal IP filtered access, though we use the passwords so rarely
remembering them might be an issue.

Dial up was far from ideal, but it was definitely better than nothing!

Stacy

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist