[Web4lib] Request from Academic Libraries about Charging forPrinting

Judy Hsu judyh at uwest.edu
Tue May 19 19:06:48 EDT 2009

What system/software do you use?

We use Papercut-MF as an integrated copy/printing management system.

How do you manage or control it at your location, installed software linked
to student ID number, use cash, coin, debit card?

The software is installed on our student server as are our printers/copiers.
The user accounts are student ID based, so the data synched from the server.
Students get a popup as soon as they log in, so they know how many credits
they have.  There's an admin module at the circ desk that serves as the
cashier.  We take the cash and add credits to their account/record the
amount of purchase in the software.

Are students limited to a quantity per semester, or per day?

We give them a quota every semester for printing and copying.  Over that,
they have to purchase new credits.

What do you charge per page?  How was the cost determined?

After the quota, we charge by volume, from 0.10 to 0.06 per credit.  It's
been like that, though we increased the single prints/copies charge from
0.07 to 0.10 as an incentive to buy more and prevent multiple purchases.
It's 1 credit per page printed/copied.  7 credits are needed for color
printing.

Why it is a good idea, or why it is not a recommended course of action?

We use to have the honor system for printing, and old fashion copy cards for
copying.  It involved keeping track of the different systems.  Our new
system combines the use of computers, printers, and copiers under a single
account.  Reports are also much easier to create with the software.