[Web4lib] Request from Academic Libraries about Charging for Printing

Allen Jones jonesa at newschool.edu
Tue May 19 18:14:02 EDT 2009

1. we use Pharos's printserver system (http://www.pharos.com). This
software allows both account based printing and release stations for
out-of-university patrons (we participate in a regional library
consortium).  Out of community printing gets picked up at circulation
points.

2. We use client software on all 1000+ mac and PC workstations.  We
use student/faculty ID for account based printing (links to LDAP).
Users choose print queues which decide account based vs. On-demand
printing.  By pre-selecting default printers for specific rooms, we
handle most print problems.  The bigger issue for us is color printing
and handling queue volume.  Our Pharos implementation spans across
campus - we have a central account db with distributed print servers
and queues.

3. Academic Technology manages this.  I believe students have a print
balance per semester that they can add funds to when funds diminish to
0.

4. 10 cents per page for b&w.  $3.00 per running foot for plotter/
large format printing and .50 per page for color.  We offer a variety
of color qualities (professional press), laserjet and photo quality
inkjet.  Classes that utilize these services will get print credit for
these print services.  Cost was determined by committee of admin IT
Staff, faculty and library staff.

5. Release of any kind slows down printing.  We noticed a 50% drop in
printing the first semester students were confronted with the pop-up
of "paying" (funds for printing come out of a semester tech fund).
Recommended, but the culture shift was difficult - like telling an
addict they'll have to pace themselves.  The biggest problem for us is
the staffing the support point to deal with increased questions, but
it seems lab staff have taken it in stride.

I hope this helps,

Allen Jones

On May 19, 2009, at 2:37 PM,