[Web4lib] Frequency of web site updating as it relates to search engine optimization

Jorge Serrano Cobos jorgeserrano at gmail.com
Fri May 15 14:30:35 EDT 2009

Why don´t you have both?

Update frecuently, and have an archive easy-to-be-indexed (
http://www.sitemaps.org) That´s why blogs were so successful.

My experience as SEO (Search Engine Optimizer) and also working for Google
(I´m ex-googler) some time ago, tells me that SEO is question of
probabilities, so:

- The more quantity of contents, the more probabilities to be found
- The better the content, the more probabilities to be fully read (after
being found)
- The more probabilities to be fully read, the more probabilities to be
linked
- The fresher the content, the more probabilities to be read by bloggers or
twitters
- The more probabilities to be read by bloggers or twitters, the more
probabilities to be linked (quickly)
- The more probabilities to be linked (quickly), the more probabilities to
be found (quickly) by those who read the ones who link to you, and the
snowball grows and grows...

So...

Fresh content YES

XML sitemaps.org for old content  YES (it works very very well with Google,
almost all content indexed, even when we are talking of hundreds of
thousands of pages or documents; not so well with Yahoo, at least by my
experiments)

Hope that helps,

--
Jorge Serrano-Cobos
Digital Contents Departaments

Social Networks:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jorgeserranocobos

Thinkepi Group Member
http://www.thinkepi.net
Personal Web: http://trucosdegoogle.blogspot.com

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Ensel, Ellen <eensel at usip.org> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> The Public Affairs Department at my organization is debating the merits of
> updating our Institute web site frequently (daily) to show that we are
> addressing current issues in our field, as opposed to maintaining the same
> material on the web site for up to 72 hours to give search engines an
> opportunity to crawl our site. We  of course want to build an audience, but
> we also want fresh material. Does anyone know of any resources or
>  information-studies, surveys, articles, etc.-that can support either or
> both of these actions, so we have something to base a decision on?
>
> Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Ellen Ensel
> Director of Knowledge Management and Library Services
> United States Institute of Peace
> Ph: 202-429-3895
> Fax: 202-457-0259
> eensel at usip.org