[Web4lib] Arabic numerals

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Thu Mar 12 19:39:39 EDT 2009

Correction: national will probably be based on system or user locale
rather than input locale.

Alternative approach is to use MSKLC to make a modified Arabic keyboard
layout that uses Western Indic digits by default rather than using
Arabic digits.

Andrew

Andrew Cunningham wrote:

> Solutions and approaches are application dependant to some degree. But
> the general approach is to use the standard approach in Windows.
>

> But the general approach is to just type the numbers from the keyboard.
>

> But first check what Windows is doing with your digits.
>

> For Vista:
>
>   1. Go to Regional and Language options
>   2. Click on the 'Customize this format' button
>   3. Under "Use native digits" select the value you require. I suspect
>      your setting is currently "Never". Other options are Context and
>      National. Try either National or Context, my preference is for
>      National, and switching numeral systems as my input locale changes.
>
> Never: will always use Arabic digits (0-9)
>
> Context: Windows will determine what language you are typing and
> display numbers accordingly.
>
> National: use numerals based on current input locale.
>

> Its worth noting that is appropriate language support is enabled in
> Microsoft Office, you can control digit behaviour form directly within
> Office applications as well.
>

> Andrew
>

> Simmons, Chris (Library) wrote:
>
>> Hi, as we try to offer more services in vernacular languages we have
>> come across a couple challenges. One such issue is entering Arabic
>> numerals and I was just wondering what other people are doing for
>> entering Arabic numerals during cataloguing.
>> While Arabic dialect use these characters (1,2,3...),  according to
>> Microsoft, Arabic fonts my be enabled via regional settings, however
>> numbers will still appear as universal figures. We were able to
>> change the Windows OS language to Native Arabic and the number
>> continued to come out only as 1,2,3 - not in Arabic form. Apparently
>> only a purchased version of  MS Windows may work - meaning the ENTIRE
>> OS will be in Arabic.
>> The workaround that was suggested was to open charmap from start run
>> and copy and paste the numbers.
>>
>> Any other workarounds?
>>
>> Thanks, Chris / Ottawa Public Library
>>

>> This e-mail originates from the City of Ottawa e-mail system. Any
>> distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
>> contains by other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized. If
>> you are not the intended recipient, please notify me at the telephone
>> number shown above or by return e-mail and delete this communication
>> and any copy immediately. Thank you.
>>
>> Le présent courriel a été expédié par le système de courriels de la
>> Ville d'Ottawa. Toute distribution, utilisation ou reproduction du
>> courriel ou des renseignements qui s'y trouvent par une personne
>> autre que son destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous avez reçu le
>> message par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser par téléphone (au numéro
>> précité) ou par courriel, puis supprimer sans délai la version
>> originale de la communication ainsi que toutes ses copies. Je vous
>> remercie de votre collaboration.

Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development
Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000