[Web4lib] RE: free e-audiobooks

don warner saklad don.saklad at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:47:17 EST 2009

Information policy studies should be a greater priority for our
library schools' faculties. For example see the great programs at
http://www.albany.edu/cci/informationstudies

Today librarians at the front end of our cities' public libraries'
points of service need to have ever better knowledge of information
policies and should be ever better advocates for more
universal public libraries' services.

We can advocate for ever more universal services for our public
libraries using all our means to do so if we engaged with the true
spirit of our mission with our communities' constituencies.

On 3/7/09, Brian Gray <mindspiral at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is librarians are not producing much of this content, so it is
> not specifically their knowledge that is lacking. It is totally in the hands
> of companies like OverDrive that produce the content. Librarians can demand
> reverse compatibility, but they are stuck in a catch-22. More options we
> push for, more expensive a product becomes. Also, if we just avoid buying
> into it as a sign of protest with the hope that companies will change their
> ways, we get left behind as other access points develop around us.
>
> Brian Gray
> mindspiral at gmail.com
>

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM, don warner saklad <don.saklad at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It's not compatible with OS X of only a few years old. OverDrive
> > should be made compatible with operating systems that are a few years
> > old so it's more universal. Our public libraries should advocate for
> > more universal library services rather than for only people with the
> > latest and greatest computer operating systems. It appears to be a gap
> > in the technical knowledge of librarians responsible for ensuring the
> > greatest access to our public libraries' services.=
>
> On the other side of this is where OverDrive is presented by our public
libraries it should be presented as one of a compilation of free
audiobooks so that at that point of service people who can't access
one service might try another.