[Web4lib] Re: Archive Scanning

Amanda P amanda.marie.p at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 12:24:41 EST 2009

It sounds like a traditional flatbed will not work for what you need to
scan. That is the cheapest option and if you were scanning the 8.5 x 11
sheets only this would suffice. However, since you have large documents, you
will most likely need a book scanner or a large feeder scanner (Map
scanner). These are quite expensive (10K and up). Software for scanning is
relatively cheap though. In fact, many programs for the actual scanning and
even editing are free. Finally, you would want to make sure that you are
scanning the items in the best way for preservation (not just the quality of
the scans, but where/how you store them too).  Email me if you'd like to
discuss further:
piegzaa at mst.edu

Amanda Piegza