[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Tue Jun 30 10:21:56 EDT 2009

I'm not sure where this idea that email discussion lists are "silos" any
more than blogs, wikis, Twitter, etc. Web4Lib has been browseable and
searchable by anyone since shortly after its debut in 1994. The fact that
individual posts are easily located in Google has been a point of contention
for some.

I welcome diversity of communication channels, which allows people to
participate in professional discussions however they wish, but I don't seen
any of these communication channels going away any time soon, and as Leo
points out, list subscribership is very healthy -- Web4Lib has never had
more subscribers than it does today, some 4,790 hardy souls who apparently
are either too lazy to unsubscribe or continue to find value in it.
Roy