[Web4lib] Electronic Library

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:37:26 EDT 2009

On 07/23/2009 11:30 AM, Suelzer, Elizabeth wrote:
> Hi all-
>

> My library would like to create a full-text online database for our
> senior design papers and master's theses. We currently have about 200
> senior design projects and 300 masters theses.  We don't have a lot
> (any) money to spend on this, so I was looking at either creating one
> from scratch or using an open source option such as Greenstone.
> Greenstone seems the most feasible for me since it works pretty much
> out-of-the-box.

There are lots of electronic thesis and dissertation (ETD) sites using DSpace,
and also Virginia Tech's ETD-db software as a repository, so you might look at
either of these also.  I'm not familiar with any that use Greenstone, but that
doesn't mean there are none.

Let me strongly recommend that, whatever platform you pick, you enable its
OAI-PMH server support and register it with openaccess.org and opendoar.org.
And if at all possible, enable the ETD-MS metadata format in addition to Dublin
Core.  Good tips at <http://www.ndltd.org/join/ndltd-union-catalog-project>.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu