[Web4lib] RE: Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:41:42 EDT 2009

I'd disagree. Quite a few of those who were outraged recognized that the
books are still in copyright in the U.S.

The outrage I saw was over Amazon's ability to delete already-"purchased"
ebooks from customers' Kindles and its decision to do so without advance
notice.

Personally, I view it as a useful lesson--that is, that many download
"purchases"--including nearly all that involve DRM--aren't really purchases
at all, they're leases that can be revoked at will by the "seller."

-walt crawford-