[Web4lib] RE: Web4lib Digest, Vol 47, Issue 21

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Feb 23 13:39:21 EST 2009

 -----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Linda Babli

We do allow music and data CDs to be used in our public computers.  The
system is configured not to allow executables (program files) to be run.

We don't have CD drives in our PC's, but when we did our policy was like
Linda's above.  For listening to web audio, we do lend out headphones to
both youth and adults from our service desks.  They are not barcoded in
our system, but use a simple paper checkout to track (date, name, phone
- blacked out with Sharpie when they return to protect privacy).  This
allows us to track usage statistics on the headphones.  We also lend USB
extenders (we have odd-shaped CPU's which require this for many USB
drives), network cables, USB floppy drives (none of our PC's have floppy
drives), etc.  All of these are tracked with simple paper checkouts and
stats are kept on usage.

We still have the .exe block on our firewall, so executable files cannot
be downloaded.  This is a pain if someone wants to download an EXE to a
USB to take away (printer drivers, etc.), but we have ways around it
when needed.

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library