[Web4lib] magazine discards for high school libraries

C Ward Price cprice55 at ivytech.edu
Mon Dec 21 11:32:03 EST 2009

Mandi,

I know that anything older than last week is ancient history to high
school students, but it's a shame you can't keep older materials.
Twenty years ago I taught high school history, and our library/media
center kept magazines for 5 years before throwing them out.  I thought
they should still be kept, so I kept some of them.  Luckily we had extra
space in our social studies area, so I created a history resource
center.  Every year when the library threw out old news magazines, they
gave them to me.  Before long I had ten years worth of Time, Newsweek,
etc., to go along with the current magazines in the library.  Anyway,
you might want to contact teachers or others in your school to see if
they would be interested in keeping some of your magazines.

Ward Price, Librarian
Ivy Tech Community College, Northeast
3800 N. Anthony Blvd
Fort Wayne IN 46805