[Web4lib] Re: TechSoup Refurbished Computers?

Michael J. Dargan dargan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 23:30:05 EDT 2009

Cary--

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Cary Gordon <listuser at chillco.com> wrote:

> For slightly more money, you can get recent and current model Dell
> Optiplex and Vostro Desktops from Dell Outlet sales that blow these
> ancient machines out of the water. While it changes from minute to
> minute, there were lots of very capable machines with Vista
> Business/XP Pro (latter installed) for under $300 when I looked just
> now. I am not sure about the Vostros, but the Optiplexes come with a
> three year warranty.

Good point.  When the top-of-the-line TechSoup Dells were $251, I looked at
Dell Outlet and decided that it would be smarter to buy refurbished boxes
right from Dell.  However, at $169 delivered, with XP Pro, an Optiplex with
2.8-3.0 would be plausible.

> If you call, Dell will assign you an outlet rep who can but together
> whatever number of machines you need at the price and specification
> level you request. Usually, this takes less than a week.

That still might be the best bet.  My dad used to say, "there's a difference
between being economical and being cheap."

--mike