[Web4lib] Re: TechSoup Refurbished Computers?

Stevens, Julieanne H. jhsteven at law.stetson.edu
Fri Apr 17 11:59:23 EDT 2009

We have some of the Dell Optiplex machines. While they're  fine for what they are, our models (and I am too lazy to go double check which they are)  do not have enough functionality to fuel more than 6 usb ports. Sure, they have 12 ports,  but  you can only use 6 at a time because of access issues. (see below).  Our problem is that we can't use our scanner and a thumb drive at the same "time," nor charge an ITouch and use a thumb drive at the same time. It's very irritating.

Juju

"Generally speaking, the first 4 to 6 USB ports can handle USB devices that require dedicated hardware interrupts. What this means is simply that some devices are unable to share hardware interrupts. Among these are USB keyboards and mice, Bluetooth dongle's, and particularly USB sound pod's used with DNS. These types of devices must have access to the appropriate hardware interrupt at all times. They cannot share a particular hardware interrupt with another device. The first 4 to 6 USB ports are assigned specific hardware interrupts. After that, the remaining USB ports may share hardware interrupts with one another. Therefore, you very often see problems associated with the front USB ports as a result of either losing access to that device, Windows not being able to write to a mass storage device (USB thumb drive) inserted in one of those ports, or Windows simply failing to recognize a device plugged into one of those ports. Generally speaking, this is not due to any lack of quality or lack of shielding, it is due to the fact that there are just so many hardware interrupts available. So, if you've got 12 children and only six pair of shoes, somebody's going to have to share. However, the BIOS usually provides priority hardware interrupt assignments to at least the first 4 to 6 USB ports. Nevertheless, these are usually the ones on the backside of your system." https://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumTopic&topicId=7040

Julieanne Hartman Stevens
Reference and  Electronic Resources Librarian
Stetson University College of Law
Law Library
1401 61st Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707

727-562-7304
jhsteven at law.stetson.edu

"They say that you must sink or swim
But I prefer to float" from the song, Float
-Sharla June and The Mayhaws