[Web4lib] Getting Rid of IE 6

L Cohn lcohn at bplnj.org
Fri Apr 10 18:53:30 EDT 2009

I agree with some of the comments in reply to mine. My biggest concern is accessibility, but not just to the few folk or are blind or disabled in some way.....Here's my point of view.

In my library, I see a very few people using their own laptops on our wireless signal, who have good equipment and know how to use it. I'd call them the minority.

Most of what I see are some elderly people who wouldn't know how to upgrade or even what the word means (a message popping up to tell them to upgrade would scare the heck out of them).  Then there are the disadvantaged folks who can't afford a new computer and if they tried to upgrade on the one they're using, it would just crash (if the popup message didn't make it crash).  And, of course, there are the hoards who don't own computers and come in to use or crash ours (dumb terminals sharing a server in the back - they don't run IE, and can't upgrade or download anything and half the time the system blocks what they are trying to do in any case, legitimate or otherwise - don't get me started).

But, I've learned in web designing and in providing IT assistance to our computers and the general public, is to keep everything as simple as possible.  My coding is rather primitive according to most standards, I'm sure. It's not so much keeping it backwards compatible when what you and most of your clientele are working with IS backwards.... <wry smile>.

But my point is still, when a great many people have trouble searching your catalog and just getting online, why start throwing up messages and making them upgrade.  Put a note somewhere not to intrusive that says, "Website best viewed in IE8, click here to download..." and let the people download it who want to.  Then people who can't or won't can ignore it and go about what they were doing....

Lisa

Lisa Cohn, ILL, WebMaster,  Reference
Bloomfield Public Library,  bplnj.org
90 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003