[Web4lib] RE: [Publib] re: database marketing

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sun Sep 28 14:47:35 EDT 2008

Greetings,

The arguments/strategies regarding database marketing
demonstrate the flaws in the process.

1. The committee process resulting in consensus strives
to achieve the lowest common denominator based on shared values.
2. The lowest common denominator for consensus is the way
things have always been marketed by libraries.
3. The marketing process of online resources by libraries
does not work.

So, a committee of librarians solving the problem of
marketing databases is a formula for failure.

I love to search, develop search strategies, and help
others create a critical thinking skills path.  And, the
online database providers are more than happy to design
an interface that will facilitate critical thinking
skills.  But Google learned and Yahoo learned and AOL
learned and MSN learned that people first and foremost
want a box that can auto-magically tell them where
to go and what to do.  So, the GUIs developed by the
online database providers do not have the same apparent
value as the publicly accessible search engines:

On-line Database

Find your library website
Find you library card
Type in your 14 digit ID and maybe a PIN you had to create/ memorize
Find the database that you want
Figure out what you are looking for
Use the native database search strategy
Find the most relevant information

vs

Search engine

Type a few words in the box at the top of your browser

Libraries spend a huge amount of money on databases. Most
technologically savvy librarians realize that the public
is likely to use Google first and library databases will
be used rarely, if ever.  The investment of time/ effort
to search Google is very low.  All you have to do is type one or more
words in a box and you get auto-magic results.  The least cost hiring rule
applies to database searching.  Why would a newcomer to an area take unknown
back roads to a place they have never been before, when
the main highway is so well marked?

Most of my work and research over the past two years has
focused on for-profit design and optimization.  If Libraries
are indeed interested in marketing their services first
rather than promoting an internalized value, they CAN
redirect the path of the patrons and win on both accounts.
However, in order to do so we need to change the
formula.

miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm