[Web4lib] Google Groups vs Yahoo Groups

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Sep 20 00:18:33 EDT 2008

> Allow me to echo that sentiment.  Yahoo mail lists are  more often used
> by spammers as distribution points than Google groups (at least that is
> my experience as a postmaster).

However, any competent Yahoogroup manager can keep spam from ever
getting through without fully moderating it.  Just set it so that by
default posts are moderated.  Then when someone makes a "first post"
that is relevant and not spam, change that poster to open posting.
You'll never find a spammer who will go to that trouble.

You can do similar things with LISTSERV lists.  I've managed over a
dozen LISTSERV lists and now manage a dozen Yahoogroups and they NEVER
get spammed and the administrative hassle is minimal.

All that being said, I've never used googlegroups, so can't comment on
how they compare.

And if ASU email is refused by yahoo, then ASU admins need to get the
university off of the spammer lists.  One spamming student at some
point could have done it, but is pretty easily solved.

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID