[Web4lib] RE: Google Chrome - Observations

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:19:30 EDT 2008

Hmm... you're right about RSS. MPOW's news feed just displays as
unformatted text without even the benefit of clickable links. Firefox
displays it as a web page with a "Subscribe to this page" list of feed
reader options. Google should have done this better, even if they
intended for users to use Google Reader, Bloglines, etc.

What I've missed most in Chrome is the ability to add functionality
via extensions. As a del.icio.us junkie, I can tell you that the
bookmarklet paradigm (which is the only option available for Chrome)
does not cut it compared to the Firefox extension version. I also miss
Greasemonkey for the ability to add or modify content to pages with
scripting -- e.g., COinS links for openURLs.

However, those criticisms aside, I've enjoyed playing with Chrome. It
is responsive and clean and the history start page for new tabs makes
a lot of sense. I haven't really determined if the Javascript V8
engine is everything it is hyped to be, but I also haven't had any
reason to complain. So far, the threaded processes that the browser
uses appear to really be keeping the browser responsive as advertised.

Tom