[Web4lib] looking for

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:14:24 EDT 2008

I've found just recently in an isolated test on two machines that a virtual
machine runs faster on VMWare Workstation on linux rather than VMWare
workstation on Windows.  In a VM I installed Windows XP64 with VM
Workstations running on Fedora 9 on a laptop with raid 0/1 and dual NVIDIA
video cards.  Then I installed Fedora 9 from iso in a VM on a Windows XP (not
64) desktop with raid 5, 8gb ram, and dual NVIDIA video cards.  I have heard
that XP64 runs a lot faster than just XP also, so that may be a major factor.

Granted this is an isolated case and others may have found the case to be
opposite here, I would be interested in hearing that.  If not, then you may
want to install some Linux distro on the machine and run your Windows in a
VM.

Thomas

PS: I am also curious that if I am running 32 bit Fedora and the 32 bit VMWare
workstation, am I really getting full 64 bit functionality out of the XP64
vm? I plan on contacting VMWare about this.

On Friday 17 October 2008 09:02, Mark Sandford wrote:
> Virtualization can be a good place to start, but the downside can be a
> hit on performance, especially if you're running it on a machine you
> do other work on.  I've run a virtualized Ubuntu on my PC at work, but
> due to RAM issues, it's painful.
>
> Linux can typically run on very old machines, so if you have an old PC
> laying around, you can scrap the virtualization approach entirely and
> install directly.  Current versions of Linux are easy to install and
> don't require much technical experience, especially if you're using a
> dedication machine (versus dual booting). I'd say if you're looking to
> start with desktop PC hardware (instead of server hardware) only go
> with virtualization if you don't want to/can't overwrite the existing
> operating system (probably Windows).
>
> As for OSes, I'm a fan of Ubuntu.  It's simple to set up and there's
> good community support.  They have a server distribution, but if
> you're hesitant about using the command line, you can just install the
> desktop option and install the server stuff later.  It's not that
> complicated.
>
> Additionally, there's no reason that a Windows machine can't be your
> server.  It probably won't be as fast as a Linux installation, but you
> can download Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc and set them up on Windows XP.
> Just be aware that some (most? all?) open source CMS systems assume a
> Linux or Unix environment and may require some tweaking.  The two
> areas I've had issues with here have been getting Java integrated into
> the server and getting drivers to talk to our library's Oracle
> database.  These can be overcome, but they required more of me than
> double clicking on the installation program.
>
> Mark Sandford
> Special Formats Cataloger
> William Paterson University
> (973)270-2437
> sandfordm1 at wpunj.edu
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Bill Hudson
>
> <bhudson at lancasterlibraries.org> wrote:
> > Take a look at http://www.jumpbox.com/app/lampd It's a virtual appliance
> > you can download and have running in less than 45 minutes, including the
> > time required to install the free VMware server software (longer if you
> > have a slow connection ;-). Downside is it cost $300 but you get support
> > with that as well as some other cool VMs to play with.
> >
> > If money is an object, check out VMware's Appliances link, they have a
> > number of LAMP servers you can download for free. With the Jumpbox option
> > you can have a tad more confidence you aren't getting a compromised
> > machine. With the free VM's, well, buyer beware!
> > BH
> >
> > *************************************************************************
> >*** *
> > Bill Hudson
> > Deputy Administrator/Manager, Information Technology
> > 1866 Colonial Village Lane, Ste. 107
> > Lancaster, PA  17601
> > 717-207-0500 ext. 1269
> [...]

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/