[Web4lib] looking for

Mark Sandford sandfordm1 at wpunj.edu
Fri Oct 17 09:02:23 EDT 2008

Virtualization can be a good place to start, but the downside can be a
hit on performance, especially if you're running it on a machine you
do other work on.  I've run a virtualized Ubuntu on my PC at work, but
due to RAM issues, it's painful.

Linux can typically run on very old machines, so if you have an old PC
laying around, you can scrap the virtualization approach entirely and
install directly.  Current versions of Linux are easy to install and
don't require much technical experience, especially if you're using a
dedication machine (versus dual booting). I'd say if you're looking to
start with desktop PC hardware (instead of server hardware) only go
with virtualization if you don't want to/can't overwrite the existing
operating system (probably Windows).

As for OSes, I'm a fan of Ubuntu.  It's simple to set up and there's
good community support.  They have a server distribution, but if
you're hesitant about using the command line, you can just install the
desktop option and install the server stuff later.  It's not that
complicated.

Additionally, there's no reason that a Windows machine can't be your
server.  It probably won't be as fast as a Linux installation, but you
can download Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc and set them up on Windows XP.
Just be aware that some (most? all?) open source CMS systems assume a
Linux or Unix environment and may require some tweaking.  The two
areas I've had issues with here have been getting Java integrated into
the server and getting drivers to talk to our library's Oracle
database.  These can be overcome, but they required more of me than
double clicking on the installation program.

Mark Sandford
Special Formats Cataloger
William Paterson University
(973)270-2437