[Web4lib] FW: Drupal for library staff intranet?

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Mon May 19 11:30:48 EDT 2008

I actually think that would be a really good use of Drupal. In my
evaluation of CMS systems for our public site, I looked carefully at
Drupal. Some of what made me not want to use it for our public Web site
might actually be strengths when looking at an internal system. Drupal's
design essentially focuses on creating community driven Web presences.
For situations where you have a community of users logging on and
contributing information to the site, such as an intranet, this makes a
good deal of sense. It gives you interactivity and collaboration, but
possibly with more control and workflow features that a wiki-based
solution, such as MediaWiki. Probably the hardest thing is figuring out
what plugin's you'll need to achieve the functionality you want. But it
really is a good option.

I don't see the absolute need to know any PHP to use Drupal. The
installation process is easy, and doesn't require you to code. If you
want to add functionality not covered in available plugins, then it is
necessary. Otherwise, you should be fine.

If you do go this way, please post your results to the list. I'd be
interested in hearing what your experiences are.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian